Enterprise Objectives for Threat Intelligence Programs
Many organizations use threat intelligence to improve, implement, and manage various vital areas. Corporations use threat intelligence to enhance their network security, incident response, and risk management and to prevent their IT assets from emerging threats. Whenever cyber security programs consist of threat intelligence, It can better improve and assist the threat assessment process. Doing such, threat intelligence would be providing more exact information on which security controls need to be incorporated to stop emerging threats in organizations.
The following are the organizational objectives for threat intelligence programs (TIPs):
Enhanced and Automated Incident Prevention
To enhance and automate incident prevention mechanisms, organizations use threat intelligence. They analyze external threat intelligence to improve internal security controls to thwart evolving threats.
Automation of Security Operations and Remediation Activities
Many organizations use threat intelligence to automate and enhance their security operations and remediation activities. By focusing more on people and process aspects, threat intelligence guides organizations in the decision making process of cyber security investigations.
Guidance to Cyber Security Activities
Many organizations establish a threat intelligence center or service. This way they provide guidance and monitor various cyber security activities of smaller sections within the organization.
Improved Risk Management
Threat intelligence helps organizations to improve the efficiency and reliability of risk management process. It enhances the risk management metrics and mitigation strategies.
Improved Incident Detection
SOC’s in many organizations use threat intelligence to enhance the incident detection mechanism in their security systems. Many malware detection systems also use threat intelligence to detect malicious files that are ateempting to enter the organizations network. The SOC professionals use threat intelligence to identify internal threats by extracting information such as loCs, threat actors, and TTPs.
How Threat Intelligence Helps Organizations
Today, cybercriminals gain unauthorized access to an organization by using quick and innovative. Attackers access confidential data and information, such as credentials and business plans. These new criminals’ intentions are completely different from those of cybercriminals in the past. These new TTPs, have made cyber threats a major risk to any business sector. Organizations need to stop these attacks; to do that the organizations need to incorporate and leverage actionable threat intelligence to strengthen and extend their current security posture.
When threat intelligence is effectively leveraged, it can enhance the following areas of cyber security:
Identify and Protect
- The monitoring of internal and external threats reveals unknown threats and vulnerabilities that pose risks to the organization.
- Threat intelligence helps in adapting the current security strategy to the attacker’s TTPs to stop threats from expanding
- A programmed assessment helps organizations evaluate their capability to leverage and operationalize the threat intelligence.
- Organizations can detect attacks more rapidly and efficiently with the help of Real-time threat monitoring and intelligence.
- Analysts can discover and focus on attacks at an early stage and reduces the irrelevant and false positive alerts with the help of threat intelligence.
- Reliable intelligence feeds provide indicators of threats that help organizations uncover ongoing hidden intrusions.
- Threat intelligence provides contextual information about the attacks including locs, TTPs, etc., which helps organizations prevent propagation of the attacks, reduce the impact caused, reduce the duration of attack, and provide appropriate mitigations.
- Threat intelligence supports decision-making process with relevant details, which lead to enhanced incident response activities.
- Threat intelligence detects and removes persistent mechanisms of threat actors, such as malicious files installed on the systems, leading to rapid and efficient recovery from attacks.
- Incorporating threat intelligence helps organizations meet the compliance requirements.
- Threat intelligence, by prioritizing security investments, helps in enhancing the existing security mechanisms.
Secure Your Organization’s Mind with Securemind.se